Thursday, December 3, 2009

Whitney Warne: Sewing My Own

Whitney Warne's current body of work "Sewing My Own" is presented here as part of the MFA Photo Blog's 1st year graduate candidate showcase.

digitally imaged scan on inkjet fabric



digital transfer and hand-stitched embroidery on children's baseball shirt



digital transfer on drawstring skirt




Whitney Warne's artist statement for "Sewing My Own":
The act of sewing simultaneously mass-produces and individually stitches the threads that bind our exterior identities. Utilizing photography, embroidery, and feminine postures, I hope to explore the modern female’s agency over exterior representation. These pieces carry my residue through application of personal text, image, and labor, creating an explorative and conscious construction of self. If social identity is constructed through the presentation of clothing decisions, then I strive to take representation one step further, adding real bits of my inner identity to the mass produced, making each piece one-of-a-kind and one-like-any-other.