Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Catherine Hellsten in "Light & Memory"

Catherine Hellsten, a current graduate student at RIT, has work in an exhibition in Seattle, Washington this month.

Light & Memory is a juried photography show featuring the art of photographers from around the globe.  The exhibit will run from March 1-30, with an opening reception on March 1 from 6-10pm. Check out the Facebook event page here.

She writes,
"The relationship between photography and memory has always intrigued me. One function of photography is trying to contain our experiences. However, many times these photographs become the memory instead of the stimulus of the memory. Over time these memories created from the photograph distort, become ethereal, become the shadows of what really happened. 

The images I use are from my experiences and my relationships. They all connect to shape a personal history. However, much like the ambiguity of the images, my memories slip to the peripheral areas of my mind creating a past that subtly shifts and contorts."




Catherine Hellsten, Agatha (Detail and Installation), Inkjet Prints on Rice Paper treated with Beeswax, 2013.